Stella McCartney and Adidas Team Up to Create Sustainable Sportswear
World renowned British fashion designer Stella McCartney has teamed up with sports brand Adidas to create an innovative range of sustainable sportswear brand that has been made using liquified old cotton.
The avant-garde collection features a variety of pieces including includes a biodegradable dress and the world’s first fully recyclable hoodie.
Dubbed the ‘infinite hoodie,’ it is made using 60 per cent nucycl fibre, a material crafted from the threads of old garments. It also incorporates a jacquard knit comprised of recycled yarn and organic cotton diverted from landfills, which makes up the other 40 percent of the garment.
The ‘biofabric tennis dress,’ meanwhile, was created using bioengineered sustainable materials and fibres such as a cellulose blended yarn and microsilk.
The clothing range – currently in prototype stage – is aimed at fulfilling the demand for sustainable fashion by providing alternatives to the wasteful production lines currently prevalent in the fashion industry.
Speaking about the range, Stella McCartney said, “We can’t wait any longer to search for answers and alternatives. By creating a truly open approach to solving the problem of textile waste, we can help empower the industry at large to bring more sustainable practices into reality.
“With Adidas by Stella McCartney, we’re creating high-performance products that also safeguard the future of the planet.”
Adidas was founded in Germany in 1949.